Re: [Harp-L] IBC Blues Bands from Minnesota

My band, NiteRail, participated in this year's Minnesota competition.  We knew going into the band competition with Cool Dispo's harp player's radio show being nominated for an award at the IBC already and their guitar player being honored by the Twin Cities society this year that it would probably be all for not ;)  We also don't play traditional blues, and the society here is pretty conservative (and we really aren't).

  We had fun though.  It was a great experience, although I personally don't need to do it again.  We scored really well (2nd place), but we got docked for our vocal mix which is odd since we didn't run the sound and had no idea what we sounded like FOH.

  I did a lot of research on the IBC (a couple of months worth before our local comp) and for any of you involved on the board, contemporary bands have placed higher then traditional bands for the last several years in the band category.  The IBC seems to be into a sound stemming from the last few decades rather then the pre-Kings stuff.  Some of the winners have really reminded me of Freddie and Albert.  Showmanship is a HUGE asset.

  In the band category, MN has never made it past the first round, but if any of our traditional Chicago bands had a chance it would be those guys!  Good luck to those from all states!

  --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "c nordstrom"
wrote:

This year we are sponsoring Cool Disposition (Harold Tremblay) and
Papa John
Kolstad & Clint Hoover from the Greater Twin Cities Blues Society. I
did not
know we were sending Scottie Miller ( he is a piano player - thus the
title... Livin' Between the Black 'n White). We are having our annual
meeting this Thursday night.

--

--- End forwarded message ---

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica

http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi
http://www.niterail.com

"Capitalize on your own strengths; develop your own style.
The world needs another harp player doing Little Walter licks
as much as it needs another Elvis impersonator."
-Paul deLay