[Harp-L] Theory of scales

All this talk about the value of music theory: What is a scale!? and so forth
is really counterproductive.

It has been said many times -- maybe even here -- that music theory is like
grammar. Even if you don't understand it, what it is, how it works, you are
using it.

Scales and their relationship to chords and how music works is all part of
music theory.

Whether you choose to understand what music theory and what it involves --
you are still using it.

Several of my harmonica teachers over the years figured out how the play the
harmonica and get single notes, bent notes, overblows and other techniques by
trial and error. It took them a long time. But not as long because they showed
me how to do it not how to not do it.

Today -- and this has been true for perhaps 20 years now -- anyone who wants
to master the harmonica can learn how to play it all PLUS all the underlying
music theory in about a year, maybe two.

This is because so much information is available in books and videos that
nobody needs to waste months trying to figure stuff out any more. All he has to
do is pick up a book or listen to an instructional video or CD.

My theory about a major reason for this growth of information comes the fact
that these books and recordings were written by musicians who understood what
is possible on other instruments (piano, sax) and KNEW music theory. If a song
could be played on the piano or sax, why couldn't it be played on a
harmonica? And what really were the limits of the harmonica? Play a few scales. You can
find out fast.

Why learn a scale? Playing a scale (and arpeggios--broken chords) is the
fastest way to get familiar with the "sound" of a key.

And keep in mind that nobody will ask you to play the A major key at a gig.
Only a few songs are actually based on scales: the Yule tune Joy to the World
(descending scale) and the Do Re Me song (ascending scale) from The Sound of
Music.

The other thing is that once you learn the notes of a major scale, blues
scale, pentatonic scale, Bebop scale, J scale, etc., you will know instantly how
to play certain riffs that used to sound puzzling. "That guy is just playing
the blues scale!"

Learning a few scales is really the easy way. Spending months of trial and
error is the hard way.
You can learn new songs and old songs much faster.

Off the top of my head, I think Dave Barrett has material on this in his
excellent series from Mel Bay. Keep on harpin'