[Harp-L] re: $500.00 and a new amp

Take your harps and your mic to a music store so you can try the amp with your mic. An amp is a personal decision based on what you want and what you need. You can go for a used tube amp. If you do that plan to spend at least a hundred dollars for an amp tech to go through the amp. You'll get a reliable amp that's easy to work on. I like 70s Fender amps. Champs sound good--not loud enough for a bar and you might want more bass. A vibro champ is usually cheaper than a champ and the non vibro channel is a champ. A twin reverb has enough bass but they are heavy, loud, and clean. Princeton and Deluxe are nice.

New check the Epiphones, the Roland cubes and the little Peavey modeling amp.They have effects which are fun and they're cheap. I've seen champs going for $250-500.00. A Roland Microcube goes for $125.00. That'll save you enough money to buy almost a full set of Special 20s and a six pack to boot.The micro cube come in designer colors too. Carvin has a low watt tube amp--the vintage series. The specs look good.

I'd stay away from the 70s Ampegs. They use non standard tubes that are expensive to replace.

For years my favorite amp in the world was a 40s tweed champ but I recently put Tube Amp Doctor Tone Bone tube replacements in my beat up ugly silver face Bassman and the sound is pure heaven.

Most important: having an amp is all about having fun, being a kid, rocking it out. If the amp doesn't move you don't buy it.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm