[Harp-L] Robert Lockwood Jr and the perfect accompanist

I must say, I was somewhat disappointed in the fact that Robert Lockwood Jr, passing generated no discussion or comments. But then he was a guitarist,singer/bluesman not a harp player
I ask all of you to go back and listen to those Sonny Boy Williamson II recordings where Robert Lockwood is his accompanist and what an accompanist he was! How many of us have been in bands or just in jam sessions where you have a guitarist or guitarists who are technically proficient but have no idea how to play with a harp player (or for any other musician ) Maybe its because I have been in some weird musical situations where I felt I was in a "war zone" where somebody's ego was on the line
Maybe its because I love patterns where you go from a I IV VS. to a II VS. bridge and it gives you a chance to expand and do all of the "scales" and possible overblows and embellishments. Robert Jr knew that stuff and he did it so well. He knew how to play sophisticated patterns and vamps without being showy. He could play the most beautiful lines behind you He could play 7th, 9th and add diminished (just like his step father) chords in the mix and still keep the feel
I am lucky I get to jam with Murali Coryell and he can captures that feeling and I am grateful for every moment every musical exchange. Maybe its me.