Re: [Harp-L] What is a scale??..damn kid, what the heck's a position??

It may be good enough for the wind instrument family, but music
publishers and harmonica players have other preferences.

Publishers insist on writing everything out at actual pitch, or perhaps
octave displaced, regardless of the key of harmonica used. This is also
true of harmonica parts in BRoadway musicals, regardless of the key and
type of harmonica indicated on the score.

Players like the position idea. Nobody imposed it on them.

I once wrote out a Toots Thielemans solo that had been played in the
key of concert Ab but on a G harmonica (chromatic).

Now, if you're used to playing a C harmonica and pick up a G harp,
everything comes out 4 notes lower. Play what should be a C, and it
sounds a G. Play an F and it comes out C, and so on.

Now this particular solo was in the key of Ab. But on a G harmonica,
that plays as the key of Db. So I wrote it out in Db. This confused the
hell out of everyone, even though it was clearly labeled.

Harmonica players just don't have the idea of a transposing instrument
in their heads. It's a foreign concept to most. Even though they use
the idea all the time and call it a "position."

Winslow