Re: [Harp-L] 12th position terms

Howard Levy sometimes calls 12th position first flat position because in the
Circle of Fourths (Circle of Fifths counterclockwise) the key of F (with one
flat) is the first flat key IF YOU ARE PLAYING A KEY OF C HARMONICA.

The 12 positions are based on the Circle of Fifths nowadays. They are not
based on the key of C. That is why the chords of the blues are known as I, IV and
V -- not the C, F and G chords.

This is misleading terminology because it is ONLY 1st flat   relative to the
key of C.

In other words, if you are playing any other key, the 12th position would not
have one flat because it would be another key.

I find this particularly strange that Howard should insist on this
terminology all these years since his frame of reference is the key of G. He is an
accomplished piano player. He also probably owns many of the Jamey Aebersold
playalong jazz books and recordings (I know he has Autumn Leaves because he played
it during the week I spent with him in a group of about 12 at Augusta Heritage
Workshops in Elkins, W.Va. )

Disclosure: I still can't play much better than I could then and that was
more than a dozen years ago: more my lack on intensive study than any reflection
on Howard. During that week I managed to overblow hole 6 several times -- at
least.

The advantage of talking in terms of the Circle of Fifths (instead of the
Circle of the Key of C) is that other musicians will know what you are talking
about.

Harmonica players -- and some others -- may know what the positions mean, but
it always helps to know what key you're playing in. And calling 12th position
on a G harp is not only confusing but misleading.