Re:[Harp-L] Tom Ball suggests a Shure SM-54 mic?

Hi Ron,

Actually the mic I was talking about on Richard's site was mis-identified (my fault.) It should read PE54 rather than SM54. The PE54 is a high impedence mic and was discontinued in 1979.

In the ensuing years since writing that, my PE54 finally broke (after 3000+ gigs.)  At that point I A/B tested two other PE54s, an SM57, a SM58 and a 545, and, to my surprise, found the 545 to sound best of all -- at least for my usage. (I sing and play through the same mic, so I need a cleaner sound.) So that's my current setup.

I also use an AKG C535EB for quiet, concert -setting gigs, but it doesn't work well for noisy gigs as it picks up and amplifies literally everything.

cheers and good luck,

Tom Ball