[Harp-L] re: shortly chromatic 3

--Jp wrote:

"While I fully understand and agree with the point you
are making, (i consider it a fact, actually, not an
opinion) I don't think it's helpful to redefine
"playing chromatically" to your own ends. "Play" and
"chromatically" already have generally accepted
definitions, and by those definitions, Howard Levy
does (as do many others) play the diatonic
chromatically. "

I think that it needs definition. Terms are not pre-defined. I can sing, but I can't sing, if you get my drift. I literally can sing, but if I were to try singing with a choir it would become quite obvious that I can't "sing" as they define it. I think "play" is the same here.

--Jp again:

"Why not just say that they cannot "play the diatonic
chromatically without intonation issues," or
somethingto that effect? You make your point without
having to fight over definitions."

Mostly because I think definitions are worth discussing. I think that it's important how this is defined. It makes a lot of difference to how the topic is understood. Secondly, because I can do both: discuss the definition of what "playing chromatically" means and debate the failings of this particular style in this context. In part because the two are separate issues--related, but distinct.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'