[Harp-L] re: shortly chromatic 3

Dave Murray wrote:

"This whole discussion is certainly valid, but I do think that we should celebrate these people, and not just criticize. I'm not attacking you or your point of view, but I would disagree that our world is binary with a requirement to trip some flag to trigger a Boolean change of state from isn't to is. You are singing, it's just that your singing doesn't reach a level that you think is appropriate. That doesn't make you "not singing", just "not singing at that level.""

No, it means that I am not singing as defined by that context. That's the key word: context. I can obviously sing, but not in the context of a choir or the like. It's not "at that level", it's rather that I am not doing it within the given context.

I would suggest looking at the post I wrote to Michael Rubin about context in this discussion again: http://harp-l.org/pipermail/harp-l/ 2006-December/msg00302.html

Dave Murray again:

"Debating the failings is valid. To claim that someone isn't playing chromatically, or isn't singing (at all) because they don't achieve some level that you expect seems a bit much to me. I couldn't win the Daytona 500, but I drive every day. Am I not driving because I can't win at Daytona?"

Of course you're driving, but are you racing? Note the difference. You are driving, but in the context of Nascar, you aren't driving. Part of the problem is that we use the same word for all of this. "Play" is a great verb, but the fact that both Allen Iverson and I "play" basketball seems to be more than a bit over-arching.

George Brooks wrote:

"It's not often I agree with Buldogge (I almost wrote "JR", which is what I used to call him, but most people would take that to mean Jason now) when the subject is playing chromatically on the short harp, but his observation that intonation is crucial is right on."

I actually think we would agree more often than not, but in any event, I want to make it clear that I am not intending to dictate to anyone on anything. If it gives George pleasure and satisfies him musically to be playing in a way I might feel doesn't work, so be it-- and more power to him. If I don't feel that it succeeds, I'll say so. Doesn't mean he should stop or anything else--hell, I rarely listen to myself, so why should anyone else. To me that's what real encouragement and validation is: encourage people to try new things and take chances, but tell them when you think they don't work. I sometimes might sound strident, but I want to be clear that I offer any criticism solely in the desire to be honest and to encourage discussion, debate and critical listening.

Finally, and for the fiftieth time it seems, I never said anything negative about overblows. Everything I say about the difference between natural notes and accidentals applies to bends and overblows equally. Moreover, as I've said before, both are extremely valid, versatile and useful techniques. My issue is with how they are used and when they are used, not them. No technique (not even the nasal embouchure) is inherently good or bad, once again it's all about context.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'