Re: 'Re: [Harp-L] shortly chromatic ' Jason Ricci & JR posts

I wasn't going to get involved, but:

The reason I asked was to learn. I find this whole thread to be quite fascinating. I have found out something depressing in my 64 years. Nothing is 100%
1... There are NO flawless (natural) diamonds. All have 'some' inclusions
2... No such thing as 24 karat gold. Can't get all the copper out of it
3... Even the finest of fine silver is rated at .999 (and THAT's probably a lie)
4... Even the pure food and drug people don't expect drugs & medicines...s**t you put IN your body to save your life... to be totally pure.
5... No one has YET mastered the harmonica. There's still room to keep going
6... Immediately after a guitar has been tuned it WILL be out of tune.
7... All instruments are on their way to junk the minute you start to use them
8... And now, THE biggie...even Ivory Snow is ONLY 99 44/100% pure.

Concert schmoncert. You can get close with pitch. Very very close, BUT never perfect. ANY deviation in a meter will indicate 'some' percentage of out of tuneness (is that a friggin valid term?...probably not) ha ha

I remember buying a package of 10 reeds and walking around the house trying each one. Although they all said #3, some were softer, some were stiffer, some were whippier. I would try them and divide them into 3 piles on the table. I would save 3 for when I REALLY wanted to sound good (like a solo). The other 3 were for times when I just wanted to jam with others. The last 3 were for practicing and that's all I felt they were good for. What about the tenth one? I snapped it in half between my index and middle finger using my thumb.

Also, if you use the same embochure pressure with a 3 1/2 that you usually would have used with a 3 or 2 1/2, you WILL sound different. If you use the (lesser) pressure you would normaly use with a 2 1/2 while playing a 3 1/2, you also will sound different. Even a harmonica player can't duplicate their OWN sound consistently.

There's a marvelous chromo player in Alberta Saskatchewan who has 'The tone you'd love to clone'. His tone is the best ever and he is NEVER on pitch. Almost always around 22 3/4 cents low. Does he sound bad? HELL no, he will pull the corpuscles right straight out of your freaking heart.

As for diat players being able to play chromatically? So what. If they get really close (like I heard Mike Rubin do many times), it sounds pleasing. But as far as 'technically' being on pitch. No, I'm sorry. And, of course, it's only my opinion, I don't think it's possible. Why, because these notes are being manufactured. And they're being manufactured by a person who, while I may love em to death, they don't have a tuner built into their head.

I have heard some really amazing things from people right on this list and while I have ears like a dog, I don't think a few cents off here and there are going to cause me such consternation that I would loose sleep over it. When I say I fully understand Mr. Ross' point of view, I hope this explains it.

While he certainly doesn't need a 'mouthpiece' such as (unquallfied) I, speaking for him, see he is merely stating HIS case, and done a good job at it to boot. I also see everyone else putting forth very convincing rebuttals to his opinion.
That's why we are lucky to have all of you on the list. It is situations like this that get the little grey calls working and as long as we think, we live. As long as we think, we don't languish. As long as we think, we don't vegetate.

I think you're all fascinating.....

smokey-joe