[Harp-L] Re: Youtube of LD Miller with John Popper

Larry Cee wrote:
<to Bill- this comment/question is not in any way meant as a put-down, and it is
<merely being posed to invite comment from generous harp players, including you,
<who can share educational harp comments with hobbyists like me who value learning
<from Harp-L --so with all due respect, here goes:  You remarked about how hard it
<is to to try to tab Popper's solos and to use Amazing Slow Downer (not sure
<what it is) to get his solos down.  My question, to you and to other harp players,
<isn't it bad form or uncool to copy a solo note-for-note?

I've learned a lot of solos note-for-note.  My book Jazz Harp contains a dozen or so transcribed solos by Toots, Miles Davis, Charlie Christian, Stevie Wonder, etc. etc.  I learned to play all of them while I was writing the book, and it didn't start or stop there.

What better way to find out how to put a great solo together than to learn to play a great solo note for note?  I wouldn't play someone else's solo in a performance, but I've played a lot of other people's solos so I could become a better soloist.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com