Re: [Harp-L] Solo transcriptions

Getting reproduction rights to non-academic (i.e., commercial)
publications may not be as straightforward as paying an author a
licensing fee.

The Warners songbook would have a Warners copyright, while the
individual compositions would have publishing rights owned by the
respective authors or assignees. There's a royalty formula for
songbooks containing multiple compositions from multiple authors.

While it would be nice to see this material generally available, I
suspect that it would require a good deal of effort. The simplest
option - a new print run from WB - would probably be pretty expensive
and result in a large inventory that would take a long time to sell.

I know that Tommy Morgan wrote a couple of books that came out from a
major publisher (Warners? Don't remember for sure) and that later some
else (Tommy himself?) secured the rights and reprinted the books. Of
course there was only one level of authorship - Tommy's - so it was
probably straightforward. For a songbook you have a couple of levels at
least and it might not be quite so simple.

I suppose the Blues Traveler organization might be the logical entity
to take this on, if they have the interest in doing so.

Winslow