Re: [Harp-L] Rare/custom/old harmonicas on ebay

A few years ago a couple of older Filiskos came up on ebay; one was
a double-plate A, the other something more standard.  A friend of
mine in Austria at the time won the double-plate and had it shipped
to me to forward to him, as the seller would not ship
internationally.  I had the pleasure of examining the harp before
sending it on, and it was absolutely beautiful.  Joe's work on the
double plating was phenominal.  He had polished the plate edges so
that the line where the two plates were joined was nearly
imperceptible.  Of course, it sounded like a dream, despite the fact
that it was nearly a decade old.

A few years back I traded someone some customizations on some old
handmade Meisterklasses for some parts, and the guy immediately
turned around and resold my work on ebay as being from one of
the "top harmonica customizers", whatever the hell that means --
like there are more than a dozen or so out there.  I don't think
they even fetched the original street price of around $50.  That's
what my reputation's worth on the open market!

I used to buy a lot of harmonicas on ebay, especially pre-WWII
Marine Bands.  I don't see them around as much anymore (maybe
because I'm not looking), but they can be nice instruments if
they're in good shape.  I once bought one of the old "Trumpet Call"
harmonicas like the one that appears on the Butterfield "Better
Days" LP cover.

I could go on, but I'll spare you all,

-tim