Re: [Harp-L] BIg name chrome guys and the diatonic

Wow, Winslow....I never heard that one.....I will have to hunt it down!,-)

    I have two more Records with Toots employing Overblows on Hole Six.
One that is a bit more Chromatic like is on the Album of 1973 "Toots and
Svend Asmussen"
The song is "Mr. Nashville" where Toots sets up the melody on some real nice
Guitar work.
The song is in D (not a Blues) and then he switches to a G harp in 2nd
Position.
He uses the OB when change goes from the IV- G to G#dim7 and it sounds so
cool...then the chords resolve to a I,IV,II,V turnaround
and Toots' little solo is just perfect!

The other cut is a slow Blues in Bb with Ray Charles on Piano and Bernard
Purdie on Drums.
Toots here uses an Eb in 2nd and really works the 6OB playing several times,
pretty amazing and I sure he wasn't gapping his
Marine Bands back in 1967! ,-) The song is called "Mama Caleeba's Blues" and
it's on a Quincy Jones soundtrack:
"In the Heat of the Night" (United Artists)

Obviously Toots could have played the heck outta this changes on his Chrom,
but he knew the SOUL of the
Diatonic speaks much Bluesier, but fascinating how he wanted to expand upon
the confines of the Richter layout....
If you give his solo on "Mr.Nashville" a closer listen, you'll see he knew
his way around pretty well on Diatonic!

Mike Turk is another Master Chromonicist that used OB's many Moons ago on
Diatonic.

Howard was no doubt the first to employ OB's in a Bona Fide system to
convert the Richter Harp into a chromatic axe and quite impressively as he
has demonstrated on many beautiful recordings.

rob paparozzi
ps...today I played on a session for Sesame Street and Elmo was teaching the
kids about Country instruments....the picture went to John Popper playing
Harmonica in a field......he sounded great!