VS: [Harp-L] Musical theory

I don't mean to cut down musicians who have a good theoretical background and understand all the terminology involved. But I still think that especially in blues you need to have a feeling for what you play and sing. I know musicians who have studied theory for years and can play a flawless version of, let's say "Juke". It's a matter of taste, but I still prefer listening to a couple of "mistakes" if the player has the right touch and a true feeling for the music. Outside of harp, probably the best known musician who never bothered to learn to read notes is Eric Clapton. Playing by ear and with feeling means the ability to perceive, distinguish, and understand what one hears and to further this into singing and playing. This is something which is inborn. Practice helps but if you don't have it, you don't.
Harri