[Harp-L] Other instruments/Cigar harp

I play mandolin well enough to play it on 20% of the music at gigs, especially folk gigs and surprisingly, rock gigs.  It has definitely helped me understand chords, progressions and intervals that are not well laid out on harp.

  I play electric bass.  I was serious for 2 years but I hurt my shoulder and never got back into it.  Even tho my shoulder seems healed I notice that ten minutes on bass is painful.  Still, it helped me understand the role of a bass player and what beats different notes were played on.

  I played keyboards for a couple of years but could never get the two hands thing going.  I can quickly play all kinds of chords in multiple intervals.  I can jam a little with the right hand.  It helps me show things visually to students.

  I used that knowledge to play melodica and have performed with it many times.

  I bought an alto sax a month ago.  I am still squawking like crazy.  Reading that Howard quit due to embouchure issues concerns me.  I always heard he quit to focus on harp and keys.

  3 months ago I bought a bass harp and LOVE it.  Completely different from diatonic and chromatic. The layout is hard to get muscle memory for it.  I understand it intellectually but I am constantly missing notes by one hole.   I also have breath issues, which I never really experienced too much on diatonic and chromatic.

  I have worked on singing since college (I'm 37 now)  and I feel my singing is the best it has ever been, yet I still think I am nothing special.

  And I play diatonic and chromatic.  I definitely feel all the instruments add up to better understanding on the diatonic, my primary instrument.  Yet, I rarely have time to practice for hours on diatonic as I am putting 1/2 hour a day into mando, bass harp and sax and chromatic.  Therefore, it is probable that all my intruments are actually bringing DOWN my chops level.  I don't care, I'm having fun.  Even the intruments I never got to a performance level at I have had good times jamming at home.  And practicing is fun.  Plus I have real empathy for my students.

  I also play cigar style harp.  I like special 20's, middle register (Bb to C).  I put the low end inside with the holes facing to the right.  I bite the harp with my left teeth.  I tongue block single notes and play chords puckered.  I find third position to be the easiest style.
  I don't practice regularly, I just perform for friends.  Because of this, my success is random.

  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com
  Austin,TX