[Harp-L] Re: Performence Trickulations

James Day wrote:
> But, our band will still dodge mustang sally requests
> all night. ;-)

It's not only this post or this list but it has been quoted widely among harp players and other "serious" musicians that Mustang Sally is considered an example of not-that-good music. I wonder why this is and I suspect the answer might be that some "authorities" on blues and especially jazz have said it is not "cool" and as a result would-be connoisseurs started shunning it on their playing or liking lists. So in a way it became the Sugar Sugar of Afro American music.

I only bring this up from a musical interest point of view, not wanting to start a debate on if Sally is better than Respect or whatever other R&B song. But I would still be interested in hearing if someone can explain its immense popularity on gigs and the unpopularity among so many musicians.

One of John Coltrane's famous recordings is My Favorite Things, a composition taken from the musical Sound Of Music. Certainly a farther fetch from Blue Note Jazz Club than this Mack Rice original made famous by Wilson Pickett and later covered by Buddy Guy and many others.

Harri
Finland