[Harp-L] Re: Mustang Sally

When I listen to the original (Wilson Pickett) version, I just love it.  Pickett performs with such intensity, and the "ride the pony" rhythm is just plain fun.  Some of the issues I've observed with the tune as a cover are:

  1. It's too easy from a crowd-response perspective.  It's like the "electric slide" at a wedding.  Almost any middle-of-the-road live music audience will pack the dance floor for Mustang Sally, regardless of how good or how poorly a band has performed to that point.

  2. As a result of #1, every blues/soul/RnB/classic rock...etc band for the last 25+ years has played it, or had it requested over and over.  It gets to a point where enough is enough.

  3. As a result of 1 and 2, many performers are either sick of playing it, or they associate it (far too often) as a tune used by "hacks" to compensate for a lack their own of entertainment value.  The feeling I perceive is "Why play 'that song' if I don't need to?"

  I've wrestled with the pros and cons of "Mustang Sally" myself.  It does, "work" after all, and my goal is to be entertaining.  I don't take myself so seriously that I can dismiss a crowd favorite out of hand.  However, I have to play with 3 or 4 other guys.  Can't upset them too much either.  The compromise I've reached is what I call the "Mustang Sally Rule"  The policy is as follows.

  1. Mustang Sally will not be on a setlist that I write, however,
  2. If Mustang Sally is requested, the audience will be informed that we'll do the tune provided three or more females from the crowd come and sing back up.

  If they won't sing, they usually stop asking for it.  If they will sing, then it's enough of a party that I don't care what I play.  Let em have their fun.

  Dan G.
  Connecticut