Re: [Harp-L] 12 position, Overblows, and why I like harp

I had to laugh when I read this. I've only been playing for about 4 months now and I was telling my wife about some harmonica CDs I might buy and then I added: "But I'm not even sure I like harmonica music." I don't typically listen or purchase music based on one instrument so much as the music itself and/or the performer. I think I get what Chris is saying. I think the harmonica is an amazing little instrument, but only the best players seem to know how to make it sing or how to really incorporate it into songs. The harmonica sounds like a whole other instrument when it's played with bends and overblows and what haveyous. Which is not to say it doesn't sound fine when it's played straight or more stereotypically--only that when played in this style, it doesn't interest me personally as much (a song or two, I enjoy, but probably not an entire album).
-Marc

From: "Chris Michalek" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "Dave Murray" <dmurray777@xxxxxxx>, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 12 position, Overblows, and why I like harp Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 02:42:02 +0000

I can't stand the way the harmonica sounds in the hands/mouths of almost all players. But I'm 'cursed" with played this gem of an instrument so I purposefully avoid playing the way that I can't stand from others. I know this doesn't make much sense and it didn't to me either until I read up on Stephane Grappelli where he said he hated the sound of the violin and that encouraged him to play the way he plays. I suppose the same it true for me.