Re: [Harp-L] Learning Other Instruments from Harp

On 12/15/2006 6:08:22 PM, Winslow Yerxa (winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I'm currently learning diatonic accordion.

I've got my eye out for a Rochelle Anglo concertina, myself! Not that I'd ever find time to learn how to play it.

> I haven't figured out yet how to bend notes - but it can be done;
> I've heard Richard Galliano do it on chromatic accordion.

A few years back, I pulled up short when channel-surfing my TV and had to stop and watch a runway fashion show because of the haunting, harmonica-'like' music accompanying the models. It was Galliano and the tune just dug into me so deep I tried to keep it memorized, hoping I'd discover what it was, on what CD, etc., but never did and now it's faded away. :(

It did turn me onto what a great player he is, though!

I'm sure, too, that bending is possible, and suspect it's done very much the same way as I can do it on a Magnus Keymonica toy I have [I have 3 of them and am hunting a few other models, but only this one of the 3 has blow AND draw notes.] It's the same physics involved as in bending on harmonica, Winslow. Narrowing the aperture for the same amount of air flow increases the velocity of the flow while dropping the air pressure near the reed - a bend begins which you try to maintain and encourage by adjusting embouchure. Embouchure is the hard part on an accordion! :) What I've found is you must use a very delicate touch on the button, pushing only a very tiny amount to allow just a miniscule small amount of air flow while applying the bellows fairly strongly. Oh, and it's sort of counter-intuitive the way it works... that is, as you begin the press the button, the bend starts low and the pitch rises as you press more, letting more and more air escape. So, obviously, bending a note down would mean starting with a pressed button and letting up on it until it's almost, but not completely, up all the way while continuing a very steady air flow with the bellows action.

Hope that makes sense. Try it and tell me if it works; I'd be fascinated to hear if it does, as you can guess! ;-)

Cheers!
Bobbie