Re: RE: [Harp-L] Re: was Danny Boy now Paddy

Steve Shaw wrote:
> I posted a message to Harp-L in April of last year about yet
> another way of retuning a 10-hole harp to avoid the missing-
> note problems in the low octave.  The idea comes from Jean
> Sabot, a fabulous harmonica player of traditional music from
> Brittany in France - he has a website
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jsabot/accueilan.htm
> with the details of his scheme, which he calls "Major tuning -
> Ionian mode."

Personally, I'm not a big fan of any tuning that has repeated notes,
and even moreso when they are adjacent and the same breath direction.
This is my complaint about solo tuning (though I can certainly
understand the logic behind having a regular pattern that repeats in
each octave).  The benefit, of course, is chording, but now we're
starting to get into stylistic preferences.

-tim

I appreciate what you're saying. The solo tuning duplicates get in the way somewhat in fast Irish tunes when you're used to doing most of your playing on diatonics. But at least these duplicates are only at the ends of the harp. I actually substituted an F sharp for the duplicated hole 10 D in his scheme, but didn't bother about the duplicated As at the low end for the mundane reason that they were neither here nor there for playing my Irish tunes! I have to say that, probably because of all the work involved in retuning, I haven't really bothered to pursue the scheme, though as I say there is nothing new to learn in playing the tuning at all for melody-playing. Paddy Richter is slightly too good already, and too easy to do, for me to want to go to all that trouble.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Think you're a film buff? Play the Movie Mogul quiz and win fantastic prizes! http://www.msnmoviemogul.com