Re: [Harp-L] meteor amp and hello

Hi Paul. Welcome and thanks for the nice words. Don't be a lurker man. Get out and talk (or type).
There's some great folks here and a plethora of knowledge. Just don't look to me caus I don't know
s#!t. ; - )

Scooter

Hello Harp-L'ers.  I've done the observer thing for the last several
months and have been meaning to make a post for awhile regarding my
Meteor amp.  I was at my first SPAH in August and want to thank all
the kind and generous and truly amazing players I met and learned
from while there.  I can't wait for the Milwaukee event since it's
just 2 hours south of this frozen winter wasteland known as Green
Bay, WI.  I've got some faces that I think go with some of the names
I see regularly on the list and am curious to see if I have them
paired up correctly from what I remember from August.  Special thanks
for Jason for telling me about this whole thing and to George Brooks
for the ideas on working on getting the 3 draw bends in pitch.

The Meteor--I 'won' this amp at the silent auction where Joe Filisko
and I were the only bidders.  It's a one of a kind cream colored amp
that at the time of the bidding had been autographed by Jerry
Portnoy, Rick Estrin, RJ Mischo, Mark Hummel, and Dennis Gruenling.
After 'winning' it I also asked Jason Ricci (Queen of the Harp
Nerds), Jimi Lee, Chris Michalek, George Brooks, and Kim Wilson
autograph it.  Some of you seemed hesitant to autograph it and asked
if I was sure I didn't mind for value's sake, but hell, you guys are
amazing players and all are huge inspirations to my playing, so value
or not, I think your autographs belong there with the others.

Scooter might have some pictures posted on his sight.  I've got a
picture of Kim Wilson with it taken by Scooter's dad, but am not sure
if I can send attachments to the list and don't have it online
anywhere at this point.

I've used it for a few gigs in a variety of settings and have been
surprised at how powerful it is.  It was also very easy to dial in a
great tone on the spot at the time of our sound check (this was
before having any time at home to fool around with it).  I've used it
with a JT-30 on an outdoor gig, a medium sized club gig, and a small
quiet lounge type gig, and in all 3 situations, I've been able to get
a great tone, enough volume to cut through loud guitarists and
drummers,  and not have to mic it or have any feedback issues.  I'm
not much of a techie kind of guy and hate even dealing with amps and
settings, but this amp has been very easy to work with and I'm sure
I've only scratched the surface of the different tones you can get
out of it.    I probably should shelve it until I can find a way to
seal the cover and preserve the autographs, but most of my gigs have
been in smoke free venues (except the cigar lounge gig).

Alright, there's my first post. The cherry's popped. One more thing--Jason Ricci's description of different harp players being like different animals as he listened to them while on acid was one of the coolest things I've ever read, even though I've never done acid. I'm surprised there weren't more comments. Then again, maybe no one reads the end of these long messages;)

'Tall' Paul Sabel
www.myspace.com/heartattackz