[Harp-L] Re: Mustang Sally- "funky"?

In a report on the Sydney (Australia) harmonica festival, Bill Hines
mentioned 'Continental' Robert Susz. 'Conti' Bob is my flat-out
favourite living harp player. That's a matter of pure taste, but to my
ears, he is always playing music, rather than 'hot licks'. (Re. Bill's
review: this is not supposed to be a backhander at my worthy colleagues
Collard, Minson & Conway, all great players...just in case you're
reading this Ian!)
And he prefers soul and funk, giving that spin even to blues
'standards'.
If he sounds like anyone in particular, I guess it's Junior Wells,
though I know Big Walter was one of his early inspirations. He's never
put himself up as a 'gun' harmonica player, with his singing,
songwriting band-leadership and showmanship taking precedence.
He's got some stuff on Myspace, and while it's not there to show what a
harmonica hot-shot he is, a careful listen might give you some idea why
I'm giving him a rave up.
Check him
out:http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=120934808

Rick Dempster
Melbourne
Australia

>>> Larry C <lcharmonica@xxxxxxxxx> 19/12/2006 2:16:23 >>>
Hey jazmaan, you said "MOST musicians around these boards just don't
have what it takes to play funky" in your explanation about why many
people can't make "Mustang Sally" sound good.  I listen to a lot of
Tower of Power and Sly Stone-- and I don't see a lot of harmonica.  I'm
sure there are exceptions and you can probably name some but, in
general, maybe harmonica is not an instrument of choice for funky music.
 So it follows that many harmonica players are not interested in funky-
rather than not capable of it.

Larry C