Re: [Harp-L] Gifted Players, Who I Play For

Dear List,

  I don't know if you call it talent, or chance, or what, but  certain things seem to come easier to certain folks  My wife has clear aptitude for sports. She par'd her very first hole of golf, and could've gone D1 in 3 different sports.  I, on the other hand, worked pretty hard on basketball and just wasn't that good. My golf slice is brutal.   Alternately, she can't sing in key.  I can.

  I think we're all "talented".  The hard part is figuring out "at what?"

  Somehow, by chance or divine providence I found something that came "naturally"  The harmonica is something that I "got." It is something that touches me and its emotional impact on me is second only to romantic love.

  Just like love, I think talent is one of those "it just happens" sort of things.  Maybe it's the aligning of many small chances?  Looking back at my own path it all seems kind of random.

  I put in a ton of work that continues to this day (pretty pissed this a.m. when there was only one broken harp in the car, but I made do without hole 4).  Call it talent, call it gift, whatever; all I know is that it's never felt like work.  When it's difficult it's never scared me away.  Most importantly, I've not gotten sick of it.

  I play a lot for "me" and onstage, I play for "everybody".  I am, of course, included with "everybody".

  Dan G.
  CT
  www.edbluepills.com