Re: [Harp-L] customizing problems

Thankyou for the clarification! And to think I thought I had one right for a change....darn. Happy Holidays, Lenny Mallak from San Diego

G <gigs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:10:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Lenny M
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] customizing problems

>The 5 and 9 draw should be tuned to -27 cents for just intonation
>according to a chart I found by Rick Epping of Hohner. The just
>intonation is the "original MB tuning".(the chords sound much purer) and
>was intended for players who soloed or played with harmonica bands. The -
>12 cent tuning is a compromised tuning to allow the harp to sound better
>when playing melody along with other instruments, but to the trained ear
>the chords sound slightly off. I believe there is a place for both
>tunings. It really depends on the situation. Most of the guys I know use
>the new tuning. Just another thing to toss about. Yours Truly, Lenny
>Mallak

The original posted chart was incorrect.
If draw hole 2 is tuned to around 2 cents on your tuner, then holes 5 and 9
should be tuned to -29 cents on your tuner for 7-Limit Just Intonation
sevenths - then play draw 2 and 5 as a double stop and you should hear a
lovely smooth in tune difference tone below the two notes.
The corrected version with Rick Epping's blessing is at
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/hohnertuningsbyepping.html
-- G.