RE: [Harp-L] Re: was Danny Boy now Paddy

I've recently been experimenting in the playing of the Celtic repertoire on
a specially tuned 'C' Echo Vamper (Steve, have you still got the one you
mentioned about a year and a half ago)

I first paddyfied the bog standard  three hole (no offence meant), then,
realizing that if I Smokey Joe'd (it's catching) the five hole draw, the
possibility of playing low octave Jigs in D would now be "fairly" simple in
terd ( oops! that should read third) position major.

This was so, plus the advantage, concerning E minor for the reels, of a
"simplified" fifth position (overblow on five hole becomes unnecessary) .

Taking this logic one stage further I "moxied" the seven blow up a semi-tone
so as to recuperate the missing C# in the upper register (major 7 in D,
major 6 in E and major 3 in A)

Testing out this tuning I found it possible to play several of the
Caledonian
Sets (as found in Kerr's) without having to switch & swear as I had
previously done when using an S.B.S. in D.

My greatest pleasure in this experiment is the facility to play the second
set:

1) Lady Madeline Sinclair in A (Strathspey in 4th Major)
2) Jenny Dang The Weaver in D (Reel in 3rd D Major)
3) Lord Moira (G Major in 2nd )
4) The Kilt is My Delight (back to 3rd in  D Major)

I'm not yet up to speed but the gymnastics are far less than I expected.
If these possibilities are of interest to you, I would advise to first try
on an M.M. before going the whole hog.
Mox

www.harmopoint.com
http://titanicstringband.free.fr/
http://tinyurl.com/kg9ur
http://tinyurl.com/qqpcb

N'imprimez pas ce message si ce n'est pas indispensable