From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bob Cohen
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 12:19 PM
To: harp-l list
Subject: [Harp-L] 2007 The Year of the Harmonica (vendor)

Dear Harp-Lers,

Happy New Year.  I'm trying to create a harmonica industry Internet
advertising cooperative, which I'm tentatively naming HarpCoop.  The
idea came to me when I was developing Joe Spiers' web site
(www.spiersharmonicas.com).  The project's conceit derives from a
deep desire to contribute to the success of our instrument and from
the idea that individually harp related business have relatively
small client bases and relatively small numbers of visitors to their
web sites.  Joining forces, like this, will help create a healthier
market place over all.  You'll have access to each other's site
visitors and therefore reach a larger segment of the harmonica market.

Take a look at http://www.spiersharmonicas.com/public/gearlist.html.
This page has the usual links to "friends" on the left.  On the right
are a set of banner ads.  They are placed there with an "ad server,"
which is a set of programs designed to deliver and track banner ads
on web sites. Hit the refresh button in your browser a few times and
you'll see that the banners change.  Each time that page is delivered
into someone's browser, different banner ads appear.

Also take a look at http://www.cumberlandcustomcases.com/Flash/
links.html.  I didn't do his web site but Jeff e-mailed Joe Spiers
and me about reciprocal links and after trading two e-mails and a
phone call, he agreed to participate. I created a banner for him had
he had his web person insert the necessary code into this page.  Hit
the refresh button and you'll see that the ads rotate.

Current participants include Joe Spiers and Jeff from Cumberland
Cases.  Dave Barrett from Harmonica Masterclasses is also on board.
There are some other banners currently in the cycle for vendors who
have not yet signed on.  They are there for illustrative purposes.
And also because I hope they participate.

The more people in the harmonica industry that participate, the
greater each vendor's reach.  To be involved, each vendor will either
provide or commission a 350 x 100 px banner and agree to add the code
necessary to deliver the ads on their web site.  This code is just a
bit of javascript that calls to my ad server and places banners in
your web page.  You can put the banners anywhere on your site that
you want.

This project is in the proof-of-concept phase so the business model
is the last thing on my mind, which is to say I'm not focused on how
this is going to make money for me right now.  More than anything
else, I'm really curious to see if such a project is possible and if
it will really benefit the harmonica industry.  So for now this is
entirely free--including help with producing the banners.

Participation is easy.  All you need to do is figure out where you
can fit a 350 x 100 px banner on your web site and insert the code.

Once the code is placed, the banner ads will begin their rotations.
Naturally, it would be nice if you chatted up the project.  And if
you know of someone from MelBay or Hohner or Lee Oskar or any of the
harp manufacturers or other major players, as well as favored vendors
to whom I could pitch this, I'd appreciate an introduction and an e-
mail address or phone number.

For now there won't be any restrictions on who will participate
except that it is assumed and expected that all participants will do
right by their customers and conduct their businesses ethically.

Down the road, I'm looking into being able to target the ads so that
only complimentary businesses will appear on any given web site.
E.g., A harp builder's site wouldn't get ads for other harp
builders.  But first I just want to get the ball rolling.

That's my long-winded pitch.  I hope sincerely that folks join in.  I
love the harp and have great respect and admiration for the people
who labor to advance the state-of-the-art in equipment, teaching, and
performing while trying to scratch out a living and following their
passion.

Thanks a lot.

Bob

Bob Cohen