Re: [Harp-L] On the Road Again,,and again

Bob asks:

> Anyone have any examples of some great harponizing? (This word, my  own
> invention, means two harmonicas harmonizing.) I don't mean just jamming
together,
> but really working out an effective harmony?

BiscuitBoy replies:

> Maybe the Harmonicats? I know  I've tried it with other players and it
always
> turns into a pissin' contest.

Bob ponders:

Ain't that the truth.

Well,,I guess SOMEONE's always gotta take the lower place to make it work.
It works best when you get two or more that are WILLING to take the lowest
place, to perform a menial task, musically speaking, as support, rather than
the "headliner". I think good accompaniment always recognizes the need for
support. On one extreme, when musicians get together, everyone wants to be
"the big cheese". On the other extreme, you get a situation where no one
wants to make a decision, and the gig just drifts nowhere, into endless
"jamming" on a monotonous pattern. That's as unfulfilling as the first
example, where people are just "cutting heads". Hey,,even "cutting heads"
can work if everyone's willing to take turns.

But getting two musicians to support each other,,that's real.

Bob,,pondering the dynamics of a successful group