[Harp-L] PT Gazell-LIVE!!!

A couple of words about PT Gazell's live show on radio yesterday . . .

The radio station has it up as an mp3 for a week if you missed it:

http://www.wpln.org/music/index.html

Click on the 'Music Programs on WPLN' drop down, and click on Live at Studio
C, then click on the mp3 selection.

First off, I've got to acknowledge that I'm a PT Gazell fan from back in the
70's dating back to his Johnny Paycheck days.  To me, he was one of the few
guys back then (Stevie Wonder, Lee Oscar) that was thinking melodically on
the diatonic; and it made a big impression on me.  His next cd, ostensibly
bluegrass, showed a whole other set of chops.  I mean, the guy just burned
through those tracks, yet still completely in control; yet still with that
melodic enormously-in-the-groove sensibility.  I mean, how did he do that .
. . ???

His latest incarnation is playing 'standards' using the diatonic valved harp
approach . . . Basically, he's got access to all the great chops he's
developed over the past 30 some odd years, yet can play those elusive
'other' notes that are very much on the minds of a bunch of diatonic players
these days, working at it from a bunch of different directions.

Check out this show (check out the new cd): great band, great, soulful,
passionate playing that will just make you 'feel' good; as well as make you
feel good about your instrument, and what it continues to be capable of
doing . . .

Regards,

Paul Messinger

Chapel Hill NC