[Harp-L] hymns with a passion

Hi, all!
	I want to thank you for your great responses to my wonderings about
Gospel music. I will try not to make my notes so long from now on! My last
note sounded a bit whiny, and unappreciative, I am sorry, because it is
truly a blessing to be a part of it all-- to enjoy the benefit of years of
musically-expressed life experiences (amen!), and to be able to bless
others, too. I admit to serious immaturity in this area, but how you've
helped!
The jams and groups I have had the pleasure of joining said they were
"Bluegrass," "Bluegrass Gospel," or "Old-Time Fiddling," but that has been
maybe someone's ideal, but it simply was a heading to say we use
non-electrified instruments, and music that tends to be a bluegrassish,
country, Gospel, and whatever sort of sounds that way... and yes, a few have
been adamant that we keep it one way or the other, but it simply doesn't
work for a general group.  And yes, I see now that "bluegrass" is actually
an eclectic-collective form of musical history and the interaction between
different types of music. Music is an evolving language, or languages, of
sorts. No "Latin" in music! Regarding fiddle music, I do feel a musical
"kinship" between the fiddle and the harmonica. Those of you with an
education in this could probably explain it. It's the fiddle I seem to pair
up with in a group. The sound is somehow similar to me. At any rate, it is
all great, because the point is that whatever type of music we play, we
enjoy music and thoroughly enjoy playing together, and are willing to bend
our 'druthers to do so...you all know what I mean.  Learning the
"communication" of the group and having the confidence to communicate, I can
see is essential. I need to learn to play with my eyes open for a start,
hmm...(ADHD focusing challenge)! I am so glad I wrote and received the
misunderstandings. It is great to have someone to talk to, you know? I have
not had time to check out all of the musical suggestions, but will over the
next few days. So far, so great! Bless you!
	I also have come to realize that various people are, as you
suggested to me, even, breaking off into smaller groups to practice and play
what they prefer. Then they come back to the weekly jam to enjoy each
other's company and are now introducing some variety. At first, not
understanding the sociology, if you will, I thought they were splintering
off in a huff (and some were), and the main jamming group would dissolve. I
was heart-broken, but now that the group is evolving, and after reading what
you all had to say, I can see this is a good and natural process, and those
who were in a huff are returning happy now. Funny how this discussion and
what's happening in our group have all come together in the last three
weeks! The monthly Grange group and audience was actually MUCH larger than
ever this month (standing room only). Isn't it great fun, too, when we see
and experience the joy in others as we play?
	Thanks to you, I see that, yes, I want something more, something
challenging, however it is something a combined group simply cannot
provide--that is not its purpose. Thank you so much for helping me with
this. Perhaps this will help someone else, too, to clarify their unsettled
feelings. I, too, will try to find a niche with another group, ...maybe even
try to get a harmonica club going here, but, of course, still stay with our
weekly group. I also find few people just play one instrument. Novel
thought! I am now taking lessons on the fiddle and the guitar, to expand
ways to bless and be blessed with music.  I know..."You can't be learning
all that at once!" I've heard it... but I am anyhow. Sure, it is a lot more
challenging at my age, but it works for me as long as I remember that it
does take a lot more time and practice (I cancelled the TV dish)...but just
like the harp came and continues to expand, these will, too. Just like with
the harp at one time...I get so frustrated I nearly quit...but then I
remember that I nearly quit before and am so glad I didn't!  I only have
today. "Today is a gift..that is why it is called, 'The Present!' "
	I have to share this side note, forgive me, but it ties into "the
Joy" part. My son and I played for a community "sing along" at our church
Friday night. He has Down Syndrome. He sings all the time, but sometimes
makes up his own words or sounds, but he always has the tune exact from the
first time he hears it. It seems most people do not even realize he doesn't
have the words. They just enjoy him singing and are touched by it. For this
event he wanted to sing, "His Eye is on the Sparrow," and he knows the
actual words. I accompany him on the harp when he sings. Well, this time,
his mind was elsewhere, and it did not look like he would be able to focus
enough to sing. However, we went up anyhow....slow awkward start...I am
praying...and thinking, "Oh boy...what do we do now?" Suddenly, the Holy
Spirit seemed to just grab hold of him, and he sang as though he were part
of the Gaither Homecoming group! I almost couldn't play for the wonder of it
all (I even opened my eyes)! The crowd went nuts! There wasn't a dry eye,
and it was all sheer Joy of the Lord! I have never seen anything like it! It
was a pure Blessing to all of us. So, if any of you feel "old," inhibited,
have challenges, or have kids with challenges...trust the Lord, He can use
you no matter what! Let Him make you a blessing!

Thanks again to each of you who took the time to respond.

Almost Home!
LesleyAnn
"...But God said to him, You fool, this very night your soul shall be
required of you: then whose will those things be, which you have gained?"
(Luke 12:18-20)
"For "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that
whoever believes in Him shall be saved...those who believe in Him are found
'not guilty,' but those who do not are guilty already..." John 3:16-21
We count the Scriptures of God to be the most sublime philosophy. I find
more sure marks of authenticity in the Bible than in any profane history
whatsoever!" - Isaac Newton
www.needhim.com