[Harp-L] Le-Riff (Yessssssss!) (was: Le-Riff (Noooooooo!))

as participant in the Le Riff debate so long ago, I have to disagree with
Billy Bud (his initial impression, anyway).

to me it was precisely because to the unfathomable magic and spirit of this
biblical harp tune that so many people like myself became fascinated with
studying it.  sure, any song, poetry, painting, etc. should be listened to
or viewed in a purely aesthetic manner devoid of cold analysis, etc.  in the
case of Juke ­ we had already been there ­ and have enjoyed it for it¹s
beauty¹s sake.  but, for a brief moment in time, a number of people wanted
to look at Juke from a another technical ­ even scientific level.   but what
may seem to one as a scientific study, may reveal certain aesthetic issues
that we never expected.

in fact, I learned so much from that debate ­ and in fact, complete changes
my opinion.  specifically, I had always played Le Riff in pucker and was
convinced it was a single 6, primarily b/c it was difficult for me to do and
seemed unnatural..  but thinking seriously about posts that claim it was a
3-6 blow, I tried playing Le riff in TB ­ and lo and behold, I found how
easy and natural it is to hit the 3-6 in TB embouchure.  listening with
fresh (TB-ears), I converted to become 3-6 believer.   so the debate helped
me understand LW¹s playing, helped my playing, and the discussion became for
me, at least, a classic harp-l story ­ a fine example of what Harp-l is
about.

I do agree with Billy Bud that is also very pertinent and wonderful to
listen to others play Juke ­ and see how they do it.  I was unaware of
Clarke¹s Le Riff quote and have placed my order.  I find listening to
versions by LW (alt take), George Smith (two versions), Charlie Musslewhite,
James Cotton, Billy Branch (both versions), Hubert Sumlin, Big Joe Yushin,
and others, quite illuminating.

may the quest continue!

yours in LeRifflednessless,

-sg