[Harp-L] RE:practice

I've experienced the same general confusion about what to practice.  I have
several years worth of material; instruction books, lick books,
transcription books.  I did some research on the net on music practice and
came up with this routine, which was recommended in practically the same
format by several different websites for several different instruments

10 min - Warm-up with "Rudiments"
(I use rudiments to describe scales, shakes, bends, triplets, octaves etc.
I have little routines gleened from various practice material

5 min - Build Confidence with memorized 12 bar blues

25 min - New Material
(whatever method book, or song I'm currently working my way through)

10 min - Jam
(improv to jam tracks, try to use new licks)

10 min - Rebuild Confidence with Old/Easy Material you're good at

I've been trying this for a couple weeks and I've discovered a couple
thing.  I really hadn't been practicing the full hour I thought I was, my
practice was all over the place in terms of what I was practicing, and I
was avoiding the things I really need to work on.

The disipline of sticking to the timed segments bothers me a little, but I
think I'm getting more from my practice time.  I really like the "rebuild
confidence" at the end because it's easy to get a little down when starting
"new material" and you really stink at it.  The rebuild confidence pumps
you up for the next practice session.  You walk away from practice thinking
you sound pretty good.

Pete

http://mail2web.com/ .