RE: [Harp-L] re: a question

Howard absolutely can play anything in any key.  I'm not talking
blues or rhythm changes in all keys, I have heard/seen him play Have
you met miss Jones, Donna Lee and Giant Steps in all 12 keys.  You
can not judge him on his recorded effort nor can you get your bearing
to listening to him oh PHC and the like.

>>I don't see why changing harps in the middle of a song, a melody or
>>bar is something which isn't considered as a possibility.

It is, Lee Oskar does this all the time.

>> I think that even playing a single
>diatonic
>>in a highly complex song has not yet been shown to be a truly viable
>>path--there are always intonation and timbre issues which get in the
>way
>>of the music rather than enhance it, even for the best.

What do you consider to be a highly complex song? Body and Soul? Joy
of Spring? Giant Steps? Flight of the bumble bee? Trust me these
tunes are not an issue on the diatonic to a person with the proper
skill set.

>when
>>listening to the top "overblowers" (as it were) I find myself
>thinking
>>that there are some great musical ideas here, if only the instrument
>>would get out of the way and let them out.

Who do you consider the "Top Overblowers"?

There's Howard Levy then there is a huge huge huge gap where then you
will find people like Otavio Castro, G Brooks followed by another
huge gap in skill where you will find guys like Carlos, Sandy,
Sebatian et all and there is yet another gap where there are guys
like Iceman, Holmes etc... an this is with in my top 15 list of Obers.
Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
CD Available
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/michalekstrone