[Harp-L] WAS- Subject:Re: Overblowing---NOW ---"eliminated from the elite circle of overblowers"

david,

I respectfully disagree.

I have never owned any custom harps from Filisko or Sleigh. That does not stop me from doing it on my beloved golden melodies.

You just HAVE TO GAP THEM YOURSELF.
Howard levy was at my house last week, we spent five hours playing and talking. He verified what have been doing with my harps is correct. This is the most oversimplified gapping method that exists...Just close the gap as much as you can until the note "craps" out. Then, bring the reed up just slightly. You now have a harp that is
"optimized" for overblowing (please use the golden melodies for best results).

I know the professional harmonica repairmen may be groaning at this point, there is so much more one can do to optimize overblowing, but the fact remains, this method works wonders, turns recalcitrant harmonicas into
pliable overblow machines. Don't try to manhandle to reed into the overblow region, play softly, gently and let it POP up. Try to hold the newborn note up there as long as you can with as much love as you can.

bottom line is the lack of professional customized harmonicas should not keep anyone out of the new game in town. Only you can do that.

have fun with some extra notes, explore your world totally. David, I really dig what you are doing-you are amazing, i saw it firsthand at Polesk's house.

randy

Message: 9 Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 20:03:59 -0800 (PST) From: "jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Overblowing To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Message-ID: <20060207040359.63464.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Lots of great commentary here! A large part of my frustration with the overblow thang is that a
large part of the equation seems to be having the proper harmonica. Back when I first heard about
overblows, all I had to do was order one from Joe Filisko and wait a few months. But now, Filisko
only makes harps for the privileged few and that doesn't include me. Same goes for Sleigh. Sure
I've tried to adjust my own harps with varying degrees of success and I've ordered
"overblow-friendly" harps from other customizers. But nothing came close to my Filisko (which bit
the dust a couple years ago), so I feel like I'm automatically eliminated from the elite circle of
overblowers. Anybody else feel that way?