Re: Re: [Harp-L] re: a question

Larry Haston wrote:
> About a week ago, I started trying to learn that one. I begin on
> the 4 blow.  After the first day, I decided I might have to devote
> one of my harps to a special tuning for that number, all because
> of the "There's" note.   I can only play by ear so  to illustrate:
>
> Somewhere over the rainbow
> Way up high
> <THERE'S> a land that I heard of
> Once in a lullaby.
>
> I have no trouble getting the bend on the 3 draw but the
> intonation sucks. (pun intended)  I'm pretty sure that after a few
> thousand hours of practice on that note,  the intonation will
> still be awful.   For that reason, I'll resort to a retune.
> Anyone have any other suggestions?

If you're playing a C harp in 1st position (tune starting on the 4
blow as you describe), that note is an A, which is the 3 draw bent
down a whole step on German major tuning (I like this nomenclature
as well).  The Paddy Richter that was being discussed a couple of
days ago would raise the 3 blow from G to A to give you this as a
natural note.

Of course, it doesn't excuse you from:  practice, practice,
practice...    ;-)

A more common approach is to go to the extreme of the Melody Maker
tuning and play in 2nd position, where you can still get the
expressive bends on the principle notes, and have the major 7th
without an overblow on hole 5.

This is played on a Paddy Richter, but in 2nd position with an
overblow for the major 7th:

http://www.workingmansharps.com/Sounds/other/Somewhere.mp3

-tim

Tim Moyer