Re: Re: [Harp-L] re: a question

"Rob Paparozzi" <chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     I have heard Howard play in all 12 Keys on a "A" Filisko Diatonic.
> We did a show two years ago for "Harpin' Help" in South Belmar, NJ
> (USA).....
> I drove and he showed me that he was only going to bring in
> 2 - 'A' Harps to the venue (one would be a backup).
>
>     The setlist was 12 Standards, I don't have the list off hand, but the
> idea was to
> keep each STANDARD in it's original key ie: Wave-D, Meditation-C, Black
> Orpheus Am, Giant Steps-B etc, etc
> I was on stage and even sang a few of these so I witnessed it first hand.

i was there, too, with my daughter.  i was pretty new to harp then and couldn't
tell you anything about the keys or positions or the rest, but what i heard sounded
very good and very natural.  if i didn't know it was supposed to be a big deal that
he was playing 'em all on one harp, all that would have occurred to me was,
"this guy is really good".

funny thing was, i was sitting at a little bar table right near the stage.  when howard
came in, he was standing right next to us, with this heavy backpack over one shoulder.
someone called to him, and as he turned he almost knocked my 11 year old daughter
off her barstool with his backpack.  later, when i was explaining to her how impressive
the 12 keys on one harp thing was, her response was to ask me, "if he only needs one
harp, how come is backpack is so heavy?"

we'll leave that one for the music theorists.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

We do not come here to stay the same.
We come here to be changed.

Alison B. Miller