Re: [Harp-L] Golden Melody mod

Jim Greenwald wrote:
I thought about doing the same thing, since I've got a bunch GMs gathering dust - hate that recess! Unfortunately it looks like there's nowhere for the reed plate to go (backwards). On mine at least, they're kind of locked in place. I think I came to the conclusion that the way to achieve the goal would be to remove metal from the reed plate. I currently don't have the tools to do this - but maybe someday.
Cheers,
Staggerin' Jim
Hi Paul, hi Jim.

The protruding reed plates don't bother me, but I'd like to suggest a one way to get what you are after.
The plate is practically set in its place (as intended). Filing the front of the plates is risky, since you might file too much and eliminate the frontal groove, which wouldn't be good. It keeps the covers in place and makes the seal between covers and plates.

One solution is to make the comb "grow". The same way as some people add a drop of synthetic varnish to the tips of the tines of marine bands, you could do something similar, but in a bigger scale. You could use epoxy, for instance. Thus, you can form the interface covers, plates and body to your liking.

You might also get used to the design soon and forget why you wanted to change GMs in the first place :-)

All the best,
Fernando