Re: [Harp-L] re: jazz instruments

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael
Peloquin" <peloquinharp@...> wrote:

> exceptions can always be found (esp. in the fringe
areas that you mention),
> it seemed like we were discussing the mainstream and
sheer numbers and
> percentages of occuruence.

true, it was just sort of an ancillary thought, i
guess. i mean, you could have listed other
instruments, it was just "funny" to me that when you
said "tuba" "bass clarinet" etc, i immediately thought
of contemporary examples in jazz. of course, all of us
here can do that for harmonica.

> >of course, both are chromatic players. this
discussion
> >began with the a look at the diatonic harmonica's
> >limitations in genres like jazz. has Howard ever
> >gotten that honor, by the way?
>
> Howard Levy plays jazz but outside of the mainstream
of the jazz industry. I
> think that is what he prefers. Either that or the
Downbeat Critics just
> can't stand his awful intonation and all.
> I added the DB poll as a positive for our instrument
and I guess I must have
> deserved more divisiveness in response.

i wasn't trying to be divisive, i was just trying to
point out that the we started off talking about
diatonics in jazz and your examples were chromatic
players. given the fact that we were discussing
intonation (and other) issues unique to the diatonic,
i thought it was relevant. i do appreciate knowing
someone out there digs chromatic harp -- i do too
(now) -- but it was off the original topic and i
thought it should be pointed out, because it was
important to the discussion at hand.

> Maybe polls, awards and such are very political and
commercial visibility
> driven. Do you think?

to some degree, yes, but i don't think either toots or
gregoire are terribly commercial.

> I think Howard Levy, Paul Butterfield, Bob Dylan and
John Popper are the
> best thing to happen to our humble instrument in the
last 40 years for
> different reasons.

you'll get little fight from me on that score!

  --Jp