[Harp-L] Paper protects friendship (was re: jazz instruments and Galison/Peyroux)

With loads of respect for the sad and painful plight of Mme. Peyroux and Mr. Galison:

It's the lawyers, baby. As one of the species (civil rights breed), I know it too well: "entertainment" lawyers are (generally) like most lawyers, gill-net fishermen who love to watch the netted swarm fight, and would destroy the fish before letting it go free. They're just after your roe, anyway. "Generally."

And when a lawyer advises you to act inhumanely to protect yourself legally, protect your humanity first and legally kick the shyster's arse right out the door (after getting your files and etc.) Believe me, the only humanity in the legal process is what you bring to it.

As for labels and distributors, well, how many seem to be run by lawyers these days? I love the fact that Bad Boy Bonfiglio sold 400 CD's at his gig in Wichita, but it's a long slog to make a living that way.

As always, be careful what you sign, BUT more importantly, be careful about learning what needs to get signed: Paper protects friendships.

And c'mon, no matter what you sign, please don't sleep with the singer (unless s/he plays harp...)!

Thanks, Winslow, for the turgid and cautionary picture showing how things so nice can go oh so wrong.

Dave Fertig