Re: [Harp-L] Overbend Argument Metaphor

Well stated, my friend.

Tom McGovern
----- Original Message -----
From: "Will Vogtman" <will_vogtman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:59 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Overbend Argument Metaphor

> When I first picked up a crayon as a young child, I was happy to write on
anything with any color.  I then learned to color only on paper.  Then I
learned I can only color on specific paper.  After a while, I made drawings
with more than one color.  A few years later, I could color inside the
lines.  Then, I learned to color all in one direction inside the lines.
After a while, I started to draw my own lines in which to color.  If I were
to receive higher education in visual art, I may eventually be good enough
to color on non-paper media (walls, etc.) and have my artwork preserved.  I
would then actually be good enough to color on anything once again.

>   I can then begin to ponder . . .
>   "What crayon is most important?"
>   "Do I need a box of 12 or 64 to color this picture?"
>   "Would it be easier to pick out the orange crayon, or mix the red and
yellow?"
>   "Is the texture of the orange crayon more desirable than the texture of
the red-yellow mix?"
>   "Does the observer of my artwork appreciate the fact that I mixed red
and yellow, or purchased and orange crayon?"

>   Ultimately, each artist will answer these questions for him or herself.
>
>   The inner dialog of the artist is never seen by the observer--only the
resulting work.
>   Artists may pick each other's brains about such dialog.  However, each
artist must arrive at peace within him or herself in the process of creating
art over a lifetime.