Re: [Harp-L] Re: is harmonica your first instument ?

The MB was my first instrument.

My grandfather gave me one of his MBs when I was 8. At first I felt a soaring enthusiasm for the harmonica that was quickly followed by disappointment and frustration that the missing notes (fa, la, and accidentals) of Richter tuning made the tunes I wanted to play inaccessible. As a teenager, I learned guitar and discovered the chromatic harmonica. I have spent about 50 years experimenting with various foot-pedal arrangements for playing chromatic with guitar. In 2001, I invented the Hands-Free-Chromatic that is, at least for me, the ultimate solution to the problem.

In my opinion, the chromatic and the guitar make an ideal combination. The chromatic makes reedy toned, sustained-note melody that contrasts nicely with the mellow tones, bass, chords, and rhythm of the guitar. With three octaves of the chromatic scale and all chords at hand, any and all pieces are playable solo. Practice on the coordination to play both instruments simultaneously is more rewarding to me than equivalent practice of bending and overblowing.

Vern
Visit my website Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com.