[Harp-L] Re: Chris Hammersmith WHY?

On Feb 9, 2006, at 10:33 AM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 00:21:03 -0600
From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Chris Hammersmith WHY?
To: m.polesky@xxxxxxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx, harpshredder@xxxxxxxxx,
	Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't mean to imply the chromatic can not convey emotions one only needs to hear Stevie, Toots, Bonfiglio, Hammer Smith and others...

The underlying point was if you can play that way in the chromatic
why can't you play that way on the diatonic.

Though this will come
off as critism I don't intend it to be, if Hammer can play such
beautiful music on the chromatic why does it seems that he boxes
himself in on the diatonic by playing simple licks, patterns and runs
and otherwise cliche harp lines?  Where has this beautiful music gone?

Listen to Howard Levy, the lines he plays on the harp, sax, flute or
mando are the same lines he plays on the piano.

By your description, Howard's boxing himself in. You mean the same licks, patterns and runs and otherwise cliche piano lines?

It's obvious to me
that his music is flowing through him and regardless of instrument is
emplyed.  What's different about Hammer? From what I heard the music
he plays on the chrom comes from his head but the music he plays on
the harp comes from the harp.

Sounds like you're boxing Chris in.

Obviously Hammer is a gifted musician
why does he let the one instrument dictate what he hears in his head
when he clearly dictates the music on the chrom.

How do you know what he hears in his head, when all you can hear are harp lines and licks. Perhaps there's more... perhaps you're hearing, but not listening.

He stated himself
that he can OB so he should have any limitations.

I think what you meant to say is that he should NOT have any limitations. I think.

So OB's are the answer to limitations. Hmm.

And especially on
a song like Pass the Time where OBs are not required what was the
modus operandi behind the choice of axe?

This is NOT a dis on Hammer smith or anybody else.

Ray. www.resgraphics.com/music.html