To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] a question

Isn't there a difference in being able to do something and doing it in performance? I've watch Chris Michalek play live, and though he can play any note, he changes harp regularly, even in the middle of a song. If you need a note and can play it, and think that is preferable to playing an alternate version of a tune to avoid that note, it's a personal choice.

Perhaps I'm all wrong, but I thought that people practiced playing in every key on a harp as "practice". Don't these players who do this choose which harp they will use based upon which one lets the song flow the way they like for performance? Does anyone go to a gig with one diatonic harp? I'm just wondering if anyone actually has such a goal, as opposed to a practice/ability goal?

Peace and music,
Dave