Re: [Harp-L] a question

Mike Curtis wrote:
<...I have a full kit of Oskar major diatonics, as well as a few altered
<tunings.  When I'm in studio or subbing, I usually bring these, just in
<case.  There are certain things that require different harps (chords, double
<stops, etc.), or are just easier.

Well, there you go.

Most of my studio work lately is done on chromatic -- I find it's a lot easier to
read written lines on a C chromatic than to try to remember what's where in
every key. I also find that the CX12 gives me plenty of grind and strong bends
when I want them.  That said, I read one recent session on a Paddy Richter-tuned
D harp.  It wasn't easy, but it worked.

But as Mike said: certain things require different harps or are just easier.  Or just
sound better, I would add.  One contributor to this thread noted that
F harps sound different than G harps.  And it's all about the sound.

That's why Howard Levy carries a lot of different diatonics, his ability to play
chromatically on diatonic notwithstanding.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com