[Harp-L] slot length stuff

>The slot length switch happens between the Db (short) and C (long)
>keys.  I belive the Richard (and Jimmy) are making "long slot Ds"
>from C harps.  This has more to do with the perceived longevity of
>the reeds, as I understand it, than with the tone of the harp.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I don't know why I thought it was between
Db and D--it's easy to get these things confused, especially when I
don't bother to actually check the archives and see for myself.

>Not to be dismissive of these excellent points, but I would expect
>that if one were *starting out* to play all keys on one instrument,
>starting with an instrument that had a C major scale embedded in it
>would be a nice feature.  After all, everything is in a C major
>scale, some just have sharps and flats ;-)

True, but as Paul pointed out Bb might be as good a choice for jazz
players.  I also think the issue of the natural range and feel of the
instrument is a big part of things.  They did (do?) make saxophones in
C, but they aren't very popular anymore.  I don't know why, but perhaps
people preferred the range, sound and feel of the Bb over the C sax?

I was going to say that I can't understand how you could play in just
one key diatonic, as it seems so limiting, but then I only really play C
chromatics, so glass houses and all that...

 oo    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()()   & Snuffy, too:)
`--'