RE: [Harp-L] Re: Si Bheag Si Mhor on Paddy Richter tuned D harp

I first heard this tune played by Brendan Power in CD "New Irish Harmonica",
and tried to adapt it to the diatonic harp.

  I also tried Paddy-Richter, but found the Melody Maker tuning very
  suitable for this tune, with a good range, some nice bends and trills.
  A one-man-band live recording can be found here:

http://harmonica.cc.ccu.edu.tw/features/download/music_files/si_bheag_si_mhore_20021023.mp3

Thanks for listening!

A fine fellow on this very list has Si Bheag Si Mhor on his CD, namely James Thurgood. You can hear a clip of this and his other tracks at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thurgood He is probably too modest to tell you himself! When you've got the freedom to do your own thing in a studio you can play in whatever key you like, as James does here - he plays the tune in G (on an off-the-shelf G diatonic I believe). If it comes up in a session you would generallly have to play it in its "traditional" key of D. Inspired by its mention on Harp-L I shall certainly be playing it tonight in the pub session. All my diatonics are Paddy Richtered, but, as I said, it isn't a necessary tuning for this particular melody.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm