[Harp-L] Re: Observations

Hi

mox1@liberty´s observations are just right to Harpie´s comment.

< As it is (virtualy) impossable to read them, while actualy playing,
< what purpose, other than tableture, do the numbers serve? >

Yeah, that´s what we call in Germany a "Doktorfrage" and because Harpie is
a graduated harpiologist he may answer your question.

Thank you, Dad, that I have the honor.

Oh no, these numbers can be noticed while playing, of course. They are
"dedicated" to harp newbies when exercising in front of a mirror. That makes
sense because newbies are mostly puckering so that the lips don´t cover the
numbers.
Later, puckering is generally replaced by TB and the numbers are now
invisible.
Again that makes sense because in the meantime newbies have learned to
count up to 1 million and more if time allows and the numbers then become
superfluous.

Hey, folks, Harpie is kidding, of course. OK here´s what the numbers really
meant. It´s not by chance that most diatonics have 10 holes because most
harp players have 10 fingers too.

When Hohner started to produce these notorious MBs the factory soon
observed that exactly 50% of the players started to play the harp upside
down.
BTW, that was the original idea to introduce the chromatics, because of these
knobs, you know...

Now, the engineers thought over the problem how to prevent that blues harpers
mostly start, then stop ..oh, excuse me .... and then continue with the other
end.
(Only think about if the harp had more than 2 ends.) Well, now they engraved
the
numbers 1 - 10 thinking the player would take a look to them before playing
and
after a short moment of reflection would conclude that the no.1 means the
lowest
note, perhaps.

However, the story went the wrong way. The players correctly thought that
because the harp has 10 holes it might be easier to count the holes on the
fingers rather than to look on the numbers.

So, the numbers became superfluous and the player still hits the correct
first
note by 50% only.

Note: Hohner wasn´t quite correct because 10% are usually lefties,
        therefore, only 45%.

< My dog howls every time I play the harmonica. >

Of course, your OBs are outtuned.

À votre santé

Siegfried