[Harp-L] bending ability

Hi

I have been experimenting with a few harp
constructions, last time with a responder reed type
one. In the end after a long time I took one of my
half valved harps and was surprised that finally it is
the simplest way of modifying the diatonic to achieve
a good all-round bending ability and asked the
question to myself: what is the reason building such
complicated things like the XB40 or anything similar?
(after having built one myself). The half valved is
probably more difficult to keep stable during bends,
but anything else? Or what is your experience? The
question might sound stupid. But the half valved is
much simpler to build than how much more it is
difficult to control, and I am not sure anymore. Also
now, when the XB40 exists offering a total bending
freedom, why is it not becoming very popular (apart
from price)?