RE: [Harp-L] bending ability

Hi

I have been experimenting with a few harp
constructions, last time with a responder reed type
one. In the end after a long time I took one of my
half valved harps and was surprised that finally it is
the simplest way of modifying the diatonic to achieve
a good all-round bending ability and asked the
question to myself: what is the reason building such
complicated things like the XB40 or anything similar?
(after having built one myself). The half valved is
probably more difficult to keep stable during bends,
but anything else? Or what is your experience? The
question might sound stupid. But the half valved is
much simpler to build than how much more it is
difficult to control, and I am not sure anymore. Also
now, when the XB40 exists offering a total bending
freedom, why is it not becoming very popular (apart
from price)?

The XB40 is not a universal panacea for players who had trouble with bends. It is just as difficult (or easy, depending on your point of view) to control bends on an XB40 - in fact there is a distinct danger of overdoing it both in terms of quality and quantity. I think that for the majority of players who need a degree of chromaticity (for getting the notes, not just bending for expression) for their music the chromatic harmonica will continue to be the best solution. I didn't say for everybody. You get the "missing" notes with spot-on intonation and tone consistent with all the other notes every time at the press of a button, unlike with bending or overblowing, except for a few alpha-plus types of course and I won't argue with 'em. The XB40 is quite pricey (I didn't say "expensive for what it is" - it isn't)) and doesn't cost much less than a Hering chromatic. I wonder how many people are like me and have a couple of XB40s in the bag but who seldom get them out to play. They occupy a limbo zone for me between my diatonics and chromatics and have yet to find their niche. Of course, this is in large part a reflection of my own limitations and of the genre of music I play.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm