Re: [Harp-L] horn line question

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jonathan R.
Ross" <jross38@...> wrote:

> Rainbow Jimmy wrote:
>
> >The main notes are G, A,C, and D. All of them are
right there on a G
> >harp. I also need a an F, E, and Eb. I should be
able to get those on
> the 3
> >draw. They're eighth note passing tones so my
intonation doesn't have
> to be
> >perfect. That leaves one damn C#. I play Lee
Oskars.

JR replied:
> If you want to learn to overbend, go for it, but I
do think the question
> itself shows how easy it is to forget that
overbending is _one_ way to
> get the desired result, and not always the easiest
or best.  Moreover,
> there are even more possibilities than the two so
far mentioned...

> There are more ways to skin a cat than with a dull
spoon.

ooh... i love the image of the OB as a dull spoon :)
but seriously, one other alternative is -- play the
horn parts with a chromatic. Heresy! but seriously,
what's to lose? i started playing the chromatic for
more or less that reason (i needed to play a certain
horn line and play it straight and i needed to learn
to do it right away). i've come to really like the
chromatic since then. don't be afraid jimmy... it's
pretty nice over here on the dark side... mwua ha ha
ha!

  --Jp